It was with much sadness that EKR ceased transmissions at the end of October 2015. Despite attracting unprecedented levels of listening for an internet radio station, it proved impossible to translate this into a financially sustainable service.
Many thanks to all of our loyal listeners who we suspect will be almost as disappointed as the EKR Network team.
November and December was a busy time closing down the company that ran the EKR Network. Some of those involved with the various streams have been considering if anything can be resurrected outside of what was the EKR Network. Final decisions had to be made by the end of the November and below is listed what has been deciced:
- Richard Gilvan has officially purchased The Ice Stream from the demised company. The station has a long history and previously ran independently before the EKR Network was created.
- The Ice Stream got back up and running in December 2015 and the web site at www.theicestream.net was partially revived (free of EKR branding) during anuary 2016. There is still some work to do on it – particularly to the Members area.
- The Ice Stream is also experimenting with some new sister services on the Radionomy system (details below).
- Gotdon Sommerville has now officially purchased www.ekr.net and Rocky. He proposes to set up a tribute site and revive Rocky at some point in 2016. (January update: Gordon has decided that when Rocky returns it will be renamed as The Rock Stream in honour of the old station – but will still be linked with an EKR tribute site at www.ekr.net when ready)
- Pete Leutner has decided not to revive any of the WDJ services after all and has ended his association with the EKR Netowrk altogether in favour of doing something completely different.
- The email email@example.com will remain operational for a short period for all matters relating to the demised EKR Network. It will doubtless be revived when Gordon sorts out the tribute site at some point in 2016.